It’s always exciting to travel, but it’s never exciting to pack.
If you’ve checked out my previous post, you’ll know that I will be traveling to NYC real soon. Besides researching the best places to go to in the area, I’ve also looked into the weather climate during this time and the appropriate modes of transportation. Taking the humidity and constant walking into consideration, I’ve made a list of traveling essentials.
Here’s a list of items I’ll be checking off of as I pack:
- Documents. If you’re flying, don’t forget your passport, boarding pass, and itinerary. Also, like my Mama always says, “Bring cash with you!”
- Suitcase/Carry-On. Check out my post here on a do-it-yourself project I recently did for my new luggage, and where I got it.
- Apparel. Pack appropriately! Find out what the weather is like, look into the tours and events you’ll be going to, and always bring an extra outfit, including undergarments just in case. Also, bring one outfit that you may need in a possible night out. The most important rule that I emphasize on while traveling is to dress comfortably!
- Accessories. There’s no need to over accessorize. Typically, I’d bring a hat, necklace, and watch. In other words, basics are the best because they fit all situations.
- Handbags. If you’re doing a lot of touring around, grab a cross-body or satchel. It makes it easier for you when you’re on the go. Also, it keeps the snatchers away.
- Cleansing Kits. Travel size. If you’re not picky about body products, stock up on shampoo, body wash, toilettes, etc. Also, purchase a toiletry bag as well — it holds all of my cleansing products. Right now, I have the Ballistic Nylon Hanging Cosmetic Bag from Target. Technically, it’s only for your cosmetics, but I use it for my tooth brush, shampoo, facial cleanser, etc.
- Makeup Bag. If you’re like me, I like to keep my makeup away from my body products. It’s sanitary that way! I suggest packing lightly when it comes to makeup, and just stick to the basics. When I am traveling, I usually go real light on the makeup because my skin has trouble adjusting to a different environment. Let your skin breathe man!
- Shoes. As I’ve mentioned before, dress comfortably, and that includes your shoes! Knowing that I’ll be walking around a lot on my trip, I’m bringing my chucks and booties along. Also, one pair of nice heels just in case I decide to go for a elegant night out.
One of the best ways to fit everything in your suitcase is to roll up your clothes. For me, I like to roll up items that don’t get wrinkly so easily such as my towel, pants, and undergarments. This way you have enough room to fit more stuff in there!
Now, it’s your turn! Let me know if you have a packing technique in the comments below!
Image via Polyvore