Aside from making a monumental decision career-wise (you can read all about it here), I had also decided to get myself back into the “dating” world.
When I was in a long-term relationship back in college, I was not happy with myself. I was not happy in terms of who I was as a woman nor was I happy about where I was in life, which is flying by way too fast I might add. What I desperately needed was to figure my shit out, and that had to be done alone. So, from my last relationship I have been in pursuit of self-discovery ever since.
The expectations that I had for myself three-years ago have been recently met, meaning that I am entirely happy of who I am today. For me, it is important that I feel good about myself before anything else, which now leads me to say, “I’m single and ready to mingle!”
So, I’ve started online dating. People had advised me to have some fun with it because it’s going to suck. Others have advised me to go in with an “open-mind.” After going on a few dates this past summer, I think I have a gist of what the dating world is like nowadays.
Here’s what I’ve gathered so far:
- There are a LOT of creepers out there. For any future dates, you know I’ll be googling your ass up.
- He has no social media accounts anywhere. RUN.
- Why hasn’t he responded?! This guy could be busy or he’s probably with another girl (s).
- This guy is going out with me, and he’s dating other girls at the same time. Uh so? You should date other guys too.
- When can I respond to this guy? Well, don’t do it right away ’cause you be lookin’ too available.
- He asked me out like right away. Girl, he’s trying to get in your pants.
- It’s been two weeks, why hasn’t he asked me out yet? He probably is in a relationship that isn’t going so good right now so he’s using you for some sort of emotional comfort.
- When this fool lives 100 miles away, and suggest being “virtual” companions. Honey, tell him you ain’t about to be his pen pal.
- This guy constantly talks about his job, and is looking for someone that, coincidentally, is what you specialize in. Stating the obvious, this guy wanted to meet you for networking purposes.
- Looks like things are heating up after just a few dates, should I sleep with the guy? Have you heard of the 90-day-rule?
The dating world is pretty much a “game.” It’s a lot of effort gone wasted, but you’ll definitely learn a little bit about yourself along the way. If you have any dating stories, feel free to share it below because I would love to read all about it!
Images via Pinterest/Tumblr